Monday, March 21, 2011

I Would Have Written This...

...except I don't have the experience to back it up that the author does.  Mike Adams, a professor a University of North Carolina on why "Fill In the Blank" studies programs should be shut down. 
For some time, I have made a habit of asking students their major (and minor) immediately after they ask me a silly question. This is necessary because I teach two basic studies courses per semester – both populated by students from across the spectrum of academic disciplines. I have found (consistently) that nearly all inane questions and comments come from students in just a handful of academic majors.
I know I've posted this thought in various places, but I don't have the bona fides that the author has.  

Go read.  I have a broken computer to work on. 

1 comment:

  1. I worked with a 'professional student' many years ago. His wife was a university librarian, so, he got to attend for something like $20/semester hour. He had something like 3 bachelor's degrees, and was working on a forth
    when I met him. He was quite bright, but obviously wasn't going to use any of his varied degrees. The one on which he was working when we met was some kind of multiple language studies curricula. He was taking Japanese and Braille simultaneously. Again, our tax dollars at work. (public university)

    ReplyDelete